Story updated at 12.15pm, February 3
East Sussex County Council this morning has clarified how the roadworks in Uckfield High Street will be phased.
There are ten phases but they will not be carried out in numerical order.
A county council spokesman told UckfieldNews.com said it would be logical to draw the conclusion from the plan that the works would begin on the west side and work their way up the High Street before starting again at the bottom on the east side.
“We will be starting with phase one (west side), but once that has started, phase four (east side) will begin, so we will be gradually working our way up the high street working on both sides of the road at the same time, finishing with phases three and six at the top, the county council spokesman said.
A plan has been produced to indicate the phases, see above. The work is due to begin on February 22 with contractors Colas mobilising the week before that.
An East Sussex County Council spokesman said traffic management was designed for each phase to minimise the impact on the town and that two-way flow would be available for access to Luxford Field car park for as long as possible for duration of the scheme.
The work is laid out in ten sections listed below:
- West side of High Street from the Bell Lane junction nearly to WH Smith
- From just before WH Smith towards the old Post Office but missing out Civic Approach
- From near the old Post Office into Church Street and just beyond Church Street
- East side of High Street from Bell Lane to an area opposite WH Smith
- From the area opposite WHSmith going beyond Grange Road and finishing just before Kamsons Pharmacy
- From before Kamsons Pharmacy to Hempstead Road and just beyond.
- Civic Approach
- North side of Bell Lane
- South side of Bell Lane.
Read more about the work in a previous Uckfield News stories:
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory