Pippa Moore, who has a 13-year-old son with special needs has joined forces with other parents and carers to set up the group as a response to the lack of statutory provision for children with special needs, particularly those with more than one diagnosis.
The In-Clued groups, which will cover East Sussex and West Kent, are open to the families of any children with special needs, of any ability with or without a diagnosis or SEN statement.
The founders, Pippa and Kirsted Maertens from Tunbridge Wells identified a need for a project that filled the gap in current provision through their own experience of being unable to find help and advice.
They say this is particularly true of those with younger children, too young for diagnosis but already showing behaviour or traits that are untypical of their peers.
Support offered currently includes:
- Informal get together and social on the second Saturday of the month 7pm, The White Hart, Buxted
- Meet and mingle, information and occasional talks on relevant topics, alternate Mondays, 11am-1pm, and alternate Fridays, 4-6pm, Grove Park School Primary Phase, Crowborough.
- Free entry, providing you purchase drinks and/or food, every Tuesday, from 5.30-7.30pm at Fun-Net Cafe, Uckfield High Street.
The vision is to grow from the existing community group to a larger organisation providing facilities and support currently not available.
Once funding is obtained the group aims to provide:
- Formal support to parents, children and families/carers in the form of one to one, group and famkily counselling, and therapy
- Informal support through social events, regular support meetings and buddying schemes
- Respite care provided by existing members by helping each other out and earning ‘credits’ which can be used for childcare and breaks (subject to DBS checks – now replacing CRB checks – application procedure and signed contract as In-Clued takes safeguarding extremely seriously)
- Legal advice for educational issues – EHC Plans (formerly statements, transition to secondary school, tribunal etc
- Telephone helpline
- Information and resources including benefits and financial help available
- Information about other organisations and help
If you would like to help you can do so by signing up at www.easyfundraising.com so that each time you shop on-line part of your payment will be donated – at no cost to you – by the company you are buying from.
New committee members are also needed along with volunteers to fund-raise and help at events and with publicity.
For more information please contact Pippa on 07930 301671 or Kirsten on 07815 950874.
The In-Clued website can be found here: www.in-clued.weebly.com.