Uckfield hoaxers ticked off by police

Two lads who hoaxed passers-by into believing that they had fallen into the River Uck and were trapped, have been told off by police.fire_modern_engine

The alarm was raised but when Uckfield firefighters arrived at the scene on the Bellbrook Industrial Estate, Uckfield, there was no sign of the boys, according to watch manager Ian Ritchie.

They were subsequently traced to a fast food restaurant where police spoke to them about wasting the time of the police and fire crews. The incident happened on Saturday, October 4 at 2.10pm.

This was one of the calls Uckfield firefighters responded to over the last fortnight. Others reported by Mr Ritchie, in his round-up for Uckfield News include:

Wednesday, October 1: Uckfield firefighters assisted a Crowborough crew at 9.20am when an elderly man with breathing difficulties became trapped in a broken down lift in his Crowborough block of flats. The man was released unharmed.

Monday, October 6: An Uckfield crew returning from a false alarm in Newick at 11.55am discovered a serious road crash when they investigated the cause of a traffic jam on the A22 bypass near the Blackdown roundabout.

Having radioed for assistance the crew set about freeing two trapped and injured people from one of the cars involved. They used hydraulic cutting equipment before being joined by a crew from Crowborough and assisted paramedics with the casualties. Read more here in a previous Uckfield News story: Firefighters free two people from two-vehicle crash.

Thursday, October 9: Uckfield and Crowborough crews were again working together at 10.45am following a crash on the A26 at Herons Ghyll which resulted in the drivers of two cars being cut free. See: Firefighters free drivers after crash at Herons Ghyll.

At 9.35pm Uckfield firefighters went to Hailsham to relieve crews who had been fighting a serious fire in a block of flats caused by a lightning strike. Having ensured that all ‘hotspots’ had been dealt with the crew returned at 1am.

At 10pm Uckfield’s second fire appliance was called to an East Hoathly nursing home to cut two rings from the swollen finger of a resident using a ring cutter which is carried in the vehicle’s First Aid kit.

Friday, October 10: At 8.55am the A26 was closed again following a head on collision between two cars. Uckfield and Crowborough crew again worked together to free the driver of one of the cars. Firefighters removed the roof and doors before assisting paramedics with the removal of the casualty. See: Second crash in two days at Herons Ghyll.

One Uckfield crew was sent to Lewes at 7.10pm to assist with flooding in the town caused by the storms. A call to a former warehouse near the railway station, which is being converted to a community cinema saw the crew using chimney rods to clear the drains in neighbouring streets to reduce the flow of floodwater to the building.

The firefighters then used the appliances main pump and a submersible pump to clear the water from the building directly into one of the drains that they had cleared.


Uckfield firefighters help deal with flooding in Lewes.

Uckfield firefighters have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield, Crowborough, Newick, Whitesmith and East Hoathly

Home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, are always available across the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.

For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit Home Safety Visits.

See also:

Sports car and jewellery stolen in East Hoathly burglary

New provider sought to deliver health services for Uckfield

Talks continue about Fernley Park, Uckfield, water run-off problem

Uckfield tennis courts to be re-built at a cost of £76,000

Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory

How to advertise on UckfieldNews.com



Share this story

Sign up to receive daily news alerts

I'd like to receive updates every: