Update on Monday, August 22: Uckfield High Street re-surfacing begins today with preparations taking place at the Church Street junction and part of the High Street.
Church Street and High Street will remain open. There will be diversions as the work progresses. More detail in an earlier update below.
When our picture, above, was taken today at 12.30pm there was no left-hand turn from the Luxford Car Park, from Library Way, into the High Street.
Update on Friday, August 19: Specific details of Uckfield High Street re-surfacing works which take place next week, starting on Monday, have now been made available.
The schedule can be seen below but the details are subject to change at short notice due to weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances:
- Monday, August 22: Preparing Church Street junction and part of the High Street. No diversion required.
- Tuesday, August 23: Preparation and surfacing of Bell Lane junction and part of the High Street. There will be a diversion as the Bell Lane junction with High Street is closed. The road will be closed between River Way and the Tesco roundabout.
- Wednesday, August 24: Surfacing in the High Street and Civic Approach. Closure of Civic Approach access with access through Library Way.
- Thursday, August 25: Surfacing of Church Street junction and complete High Street. There will be a diversion as the Church Street junction is closed. The road will be closed between Regency Close and High Street.
- Friday, August 26: Completion of surfacing the High Street. No diversion required.
There will be full one-day road closures with associated diversions in Church Street, between the junctions of High Street and Regency Close; Bell Lane, between High Street and Bell Farm Lane, and High Street, between River Way and Bell Lane.
Resurfacing in the High Street itself will be ongoing and access will be maintained via the existing one-way system.
Contractors Colas are currently working between Kamson’s Pharmacy and Barclays Bank. This phase has seen old kerb stones removed and replaced with new kerbs and Yorkstone paving slabs.
Work on Phase Ten of the scheme, between Peacocks and Freeman and Foreman, is also under way. Work has included removing the safety barrier, installing a new kerb line and new signs and carrying out drainage work at Bell Lane junction.
The Uckfield High Street scheme is being overseen by a project board comprised of representatives from East Sussex County Council, Wealden District Council and Uckfield Town Council.