Watch manager Ian Ritchie from Uckfield Fire Station said high temperatures can cause the fuel to expand and leak from the filler cap.
The warning came after an Uckfield crew was called to Ridgewood on Saturday, at 1.30pm, when a car started leaking petrol.
The same day a crew was sent to the Cancer Research shop in Uckfield High Street after a call about a bin being alight.
Mr Ritchie said: “Thankfully, a quick-thinking shopper used the store’s fire extinguisher to deal with the fire before firefighters arrived.
On Sunday firefighters wore breathing apparatus to deal with a car fire near the Post Office in the High Street.
Earlier this month, on Saturday, July 6, Uckfield firefighters were twice called to a property in Forest Row after an elderly resident burnt food.
On the first call, at 10.18am, they worked with a crew from East Grinstead to clear the smoke using a ‘positive pressure ventilation fan’.
They returned to the flat with a crew from Crowborough at 2pm after another call and referred the elderly occupier to social services for additional assistance as part of a partnership working scheme to provide support for the vulnerable in our communities.
There was a car fire on the A272 at Buxted on July 6, at 4.52pm, but the fire was out when Uckfield firefighters arrived.
On Monday, July 8, at 12.30pm an Uckfield crew, along with Crowborough’s Landrover attended an undergrowth fire in Chelwood Gate.
The town’s crews have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield, Buxted, Newick and Crowborough.
Home Safety Visits designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home are always available from Uckfield Fire Station staff. Free smoke alarms can be fitted where required.
For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit www.esfrs.org/hsv.shtml
Uckfield Fire Station has passed muster in an annual inspection.
Administration, appliances, equipment and premises have all been checked and so have the operational skills and knowledge of the duty crew, writes watch manager Ian Ritchie.
There were a couple of minor admin issues but the inspection was a success for the station’s personnel who can take credit for the service that they provide to the local communities.