Barbecue coals were the cause of a fire which spread to fence panels and then the exterior of two properties in Uckfield on Monday.
The incident was just one of those attended by the town’s firefighters in the past fortnight.
Watch manager Ian Ritchie reports here:
Saturday, May 2: One crew from Uckfield extinguished a small fire in Boothland Wood near the Victoria Pleasure Ground at 3.55pm.
Monday, May 4: A call to a barn fire at Halland at 12.15am was found to be a large bonfire which was under control.
Tuesday, May 5: A bonfire at Chelwood Gate was mistaken for a forest fire at 10.40am.
Thursday, May 7: Crews from Uckfield and Heathfield attended a road accident in Heathfield at 11.35am. Nobody was trapped and the driver who had suffered a stroke was passed into the care of paramedics.
Friday, May 8: A fire involving a washing machine at a house in Jarvis Brook at 1.55pm was dealt with by crews from Uckfield and Crowborough. More here: Quick response to washing machin fire receives praise.
Sunday, May 10: Firefighters used a ring cutter to remove a ring from a lady’s swollen finger after she came into the station at 12pm.
Monday, May 11: Two Uckfield crews were called to a fire in the town at 9.30am. Barbeque coals disposed of in a wheelie bin ignited the bin contents which spread to fence panels and then to the exterior of two properties. Firefighters used a hosereel to extinguish the fire. Barbeque safety advice can be found on the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service website here: Barbeque safety
Wednesday, May 13: Another call to bonfire was attended in Framfield at 11.15am but was under control.
A motorcyclist had a lucky escape at 11.45am when his machine was in collision with a car on London Road in Uckfield. Firefighters from the town cleared up a petrol spillage and assisted a paramedic and the Police in dealing with the casualty, who received leg injuries, until the arrival of an ambulance.
Thursday, May 14: At 4.25pm one crew was called to an accident on the A275 at Sheffield Park. The driver of the car escaped with minor injuries despite severe damage to the vehicle after hitting an electricity pole and a wall.
Uckfield firefighters visited Fletching School to meet their enthusiastic kit car team and talk about battery and electrical safety as part of their project.
As part of their ongoing work in the community, crews have also visited Manor Park School and pupils from St Philips School visited the fire station in support of their curriculum work.
Uckfield firefighters have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield, Newick, Little Horsted, Easons Green, Blackboys, Laughton and Heathfield during the past fortnight.
Home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, are always available across the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.
For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit Home Safety Visits