Uckfield firefighters provide standby water supply in Hastings emergency

A bulk water carrier from Uckfield Fire Station was sent to Hastings on Sunday to provide a standby emergency water supply in the town.

The Uckfield Fire Station water carrier.

The Uckfield Fire Station water carrier.

Watch manager Ian Ritchie said a water main burst causing flooding to propoerties and supplies were cut off affecting several thousand homes and many of the fire hydrants.

The crew was relieved at 6pm and remained in the town until the supply was restored during the evening.

Mr Ritchie said other incidents attended by Uckfield firefighters in the past fortnight included:

Tuesday, August 18: Uckfield’s Bulk Water Carrier attended a barn fire at Saltdean at 5.05pm in support of crews from Roedean, Newhaven and Brighton. The crew left a 12,000 litre dam at the scene overnight.

Wednesday, August 19: Crews from Uckfield and Lewes worked together at 1.45pm to extinguish a baler that caught fire and spread to the field in Sharpsbridge Lane near Piltdown.

Friday, August 21: Uckfield and Lewes crews worked together again at 9.45am to deal with an electrical fire in a property in Laughton.

At 10.30am crews from Uckfield and Crowborough were called to reports of smoke in a property at Five Ashes where they found another electrical fire involving a light fitting.

A call from the RSPCA at 11.30am saw one crew rescue a cat from a tree at Coopers Green after it had been stuck for several days. (The question is often asked and yes we still do!)

Saturday, August 22: The tragic plane crash at the Shoreham Air Show resulted in an Uckfield crew providing cover in Haywards Heath from 1.35pm as crews from East and West Sussex worked together and with numerous partner agencies to deal with the major incident.

Sunday, August 23: Firefighters rescued a small child that had become locked in a car in Tesco’s car park at 11am.

At 4.30pm an Uckfield crew was sent to an incident involving arcing high voltage overhead cables at Sheffield Park. They reassured residents and ensured that the area was safe before handing the incident over to UK Power Networks staff.

Monday, August 24: Crews from Uckfield and East Grinstead were called to reports of a person shut in a lift and panicking in a property in Forest Row at 5.15pm. The elderly gent had been released before crews arrived.

Fears that a person was trapped in a burning car at 9.45pm saw crews from Uckfield and Crowborough rush to Manor Park Estate. Thankfully the crews found nothing more than a car with a severely overheated and smoking engine. The incident was handed over to Sussex Police.

Thursday, August 27: One person was released by Uckfield firefighters from a faulty lift at a property in Buxted at 12.55pm.

At 2.40pm crews from Uckfield and Lewes worked together to free three people from two cars following a collision on the A22 at Halland.

During the past fortnight Uckfield firefighters have provided cover in Crowborough (3) and Haywards Heath and attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield (4), Easons Green, Maresfield, Newick, Golden Cross and Crowborough

Home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, are always available across the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.

For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit Home Safety Visits

See also:

Tips for shopping in Uckfield during September

D-day for tenders on running Uckfield Civic Centre

Your comments: Despair over erosion of basic amenities

Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory

How to advertise on UckfieldNews.com

Share this story

Sign up to receive daily news alerts

I'd like to receive updates every: