The local crew were first deployed to Lewes and then moved to Roedean on Saturday, August 17.
While in the “big city’, they were called to deal with an incident in a high-rise block of flats.
West Sussex Fire Service provided the supporting appliances from Shoreham and Lancing because of another continuing major incident.
While being a bit of a shock to the system to the ‘low-rise’ local crew, recent training kicked in to implement specific safety procedures for hig-rise buildings.
Thankfully the incident proved to be nothing more than a smoke filled flat due to incense burning.
Other calls for the Uckfield firefightersin the last fortnight:
Sunday, August 18: Just after midnight, firefighters were called to Maresfield to extinguish a fire in some undergrowth which had spread from a small bonfire.
Wednesday, August 27: An Uckfield crew supported Crowborough firefighters to deal with a fire at a property in Jarvis Brook .
Thursday, August 22: A car fire at Maresfield, a van fire at Five Ash Down and some burning undergrowth in Uckfield were all dealt with
Friday, August 23: A busy few days continued when an Uckfield crew attended an incident at Heathfield before going on to a person shut in a lift, a bonfire and fire alarms all in Uckfield.
Monday, August 26: At lunchtime and while Uckfields’ duty crew were again having to provide cover in Crowborough due to their shortage of retained duty system firefighters, the towns’ second appliance was called to gain access to a property in the town where an elderly resident had collapsed. Firefighters cared for the lady until an ambulance arrived. Later that day both of the towns fire appliances attended reports of smoke in a house in Newick which proved to be a false alarm.
The town’s crews have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield and Heathfield.
One commercial property in the town has been attended eight times in the past fortnight by firefighters due to their fire alarm operating. A fire safety officer is now liaising with the company to address the issue which is unnecessarily tying up a front line fire appliance.
Advice for commercial premises is available here
Thirty home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, were undertaken during August throughout the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.
For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit this website