Uckfield and surrounding villages have seen big increases in confirmed Covid-19 cases in the last seven days.
The Chelwood and Nutley area, which includes Fletching, first emerged as a hotspot early last week and Uckfield Town and North registered increases as the week went on.
There is a similar pattern across much of Wealden and East Sussex.
The number of Wealden lab-confirmed cases has risen from 588 when we last reported a week ago to 672 at 4pm yesterday (October 11) – up 84 in seven days.
This is how the number of cases of the Coronavirus grew in Wealden in the past seven days:
- October 5 +9
- October 6 +11
- October 7 +6
- October 8 +15
- October 9 +20
- October 10 +14
- October 11 +9
Some growth was first seen in last week’s report, although mistakes at national level in the handling of data skewed the numbers.
There have also been questions in recent weeks about the availability of tests in the local area.
What is not known is how these numbers compare with March and April when only limited testing – mostly for those in hospital – was available.
What we do know is that for much of the summer, our weekly report only showed increases in single figures. The big rises have developed in the last couple of weeks, or so.
On a list of 380 local councils, Wealden is 52nd (54th last week) when it comes to the rate per 100,000 of population since the pandemic began.
Cases in the Uckfield area
The following figures are for the period October 1 to October 7
- Uckfield Town and North: 8 cases
- Uckfield South (New Town and Ridgewood): between 0 and 2 cases
- Buxted, Framfield and Rotherfield (includes High Hurstwood, Blackboys and Waldron): five cases
- Five Ash Down, Horsted and Chiddingly (includes Maresfield, Piltdown, Isfield, Halland, East Hoathly and Laughton): three cases
- Chelwood and Nutley (includes Fletching): nine cases
The community groupings above are those used for national statistical purposes and are areas with around on average 7,200 population.
Only the exact number of cases is given in official releases when the number of cases is three or more in a particular area.
In the period September 24 to September 30, in each of those areas the number of cases was between 0 and two.
For context, the area in Sussex with the highest number of cases is Coldean & Moulsecoomb North (Brighton) with 74.
Compare and contrast Wealden Coronavirus cases with other areas
Here are the statistics for neighbouring areas (last week’s figure and the previous week’s in brackets) with the rate per 100,000 of population since the outbreak began.
- Brighton and Hove 1,395 (1,170) – 479.6 per hundred thousand of population.
- Eastbourne 588 (555) – 566.8 per hundred thousand of population
- Hastings borough 276 (228) – 297.9 per hundred thousand of population.
- Lewes district 482 (445) – 466.7 per hundred thousand of population.
- Mid Sussex 823 (754) – 545.0 per hundred thousand of population.
- Rother 281 (249) – 292.5 per hundred thousand of population.
- Tunbridge Wells district 705 (623) – 593.8 per hundred thousand of population.
- East Sussex – 2,299 (2,065) – 412.6 per hundred thousand of population.
- West Sussex – 3,988 (3,652) – 461.6 per hundred thousand of population.
- South East region – 50,760 (45,496) – 552.9 per hundred thousand of population.
- England – 514,439 (430,843) – 914.0 per hundred thousand of population.
Recent Covid-19 deaths in Wealden
This website generally reports deaths from Covid-19 on a Wednesday. The latest figures are to September 15 and there have been no deaths in the 21 days to that date. See our report here
The number of cases in Uckfield area communities is reported over a different period to the Wealden figures, as are some of the seven-day rolling averages. This is due to the timings of data releases.
This website maintains its own datasets to track Covid-19 in Uckfield, surrounding villages and Wealden more generally. Our statistics are generally taken from ONS data and other published Government sources..
We normally report cases each Monday, based on data up to 4pm the previous day, to allow seven-day comparisons to be made.
We generally update the number of deaths in Wealden on a Wednesday and for Uckfield and surrounding villages on a monthly basis when national data is released.
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory