Uckfield is getting set for Christmas.
- The lights are going up
- Late-night shopping is all planned
- It will be a bumper Christmas tree festival at Holy Cross Church
- Oh, and Santa will be on tour from next week.
Here’s your essential guide to the key events:
Uckfield Christmas lights should be shining bright by the end of the week.
Contractors began yesterday (November 26) the process of putting up the lights and will continue today (November 27).
They will be illuminated in time for the weekend, subject to the weather, lighting fixtures and power supply.
Uckfield Town Council is responsible for the lights and the total cost this year is estimated to be £12,300.
Uckfield Chamber of Commerce usually contributes around £2,000 towards the cost, paid for by the production of its late-night shopping magazine.
Late-night shopping is on Friday, December 6.
- Father Christmas in Olives Yard (transport for Santa has been organised by Uckfield Lions Club);
- Hog roast outside the Volunteer Bureau (new venue);
- Universal Dance performing outside the Civic Centre;
- Musical acts;
- Art trail organised by Uckfield Framing;
- A walk through Nativity;
- Stalls selling festive food and drink in the High Street;
- Events outside historic Bridge Cottage; and
- ‘Hunt the Elf’.
The High Street will be closed to traffic from 5.15pm and re-open when everything is cleared away – no later than 10pm.
Christmas trees festival
December 6 is also the opening day of the Festival of Christmas Trees at Holy Cross Church.
The festival, which attracts thousands of visitors, is now in its 12th year and will be open on Friday evening.
The Church will be filled with more than 100 sponsored trees with musical entertainment at various times.
Cakes and refreshments and hot lunches will be available.
On Saturday, December 7, there will be a ‘Quiet Hour’, with no music, from 9.30am-10.30am for people who may find large crowds overwhelming.
The festival is open on:
- Friday, December 6, from 10am to 9pm
- Saturday, December 7 opens with the Quiet Hour (at 9.30am) and then from 10.30am to 6pm
- Sunday, December 8, from 11.30am to 4pm. Closing festival service begins at 4.30pm.
Santa’s sleigh tour
As usual, Santa Claus will be touring Uckfield next month, chaperoned by members of Uckfield Lions Club.
The Santa tour is a big fund-raiser for the Lions every year.
Tour schedule (subject to change):
- Tuesday, December 3 – 6pm New Barn Lane, Sand Ridge; 7pm Pipers Field
- Thursday, December 5 – 6pm Harcourt, Vernon, Selby Roads; 7pm Keld Drive/Ave, Alexandra Rd
- Friday, December 6 – 5.30pm, Late Night Shopping in Olives Yard. Opportunity to visit Santa on his sleigh, small gift for all the children. Bookshop open all evening
- Sunday, December 8 – 5pm Church Coombe
- Monday, December 9 – 6pm Forge Rise, Bridge Farm Rd; 7pm Hunters Way
- Tuesday, December 10h – 6.15pm West Park
- Thursday, December 12h – 5.30pm Olives Meadow, Hempstead Gardens, Linden Chase; 6.30pm Knights Meadow, Roman Way
- Sunday, December 15 – 2.30pm Carol Concert at Holy Cross Church; 5pm Castle Rise, Fernley Park, Wares Rd, New Road (north end)
- Monday, December 1 – 5.30pm Rocks Park
- Tuesday, December 17 – 5.30pm Five Ash Down – Ashdown Place; 6.30pm Maresfield – Parklands, The Paddock
- Wednesday, December 18 – 5.30pm Manor Park South
- Thursday, December 19 – 6pm Manor Park North
- Sunday, December – 5pm Harlands Farm
Check latest information at: www.uckfield-lions.org.uk
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory