Uckfield-based manufacturer TR Fastenings reacted quickly when fasteners were needed, for use in medical equipment and PPE around the world, at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic.
The company’s director of strategic business, Jeremy Scholefield, said TR Fastenings responded to a UK Government request to support the needs of established medical equipment manufacturers and other businesses diversifying into the sector.
TR Fastenings technical expertise, real time inventory availability, wide range of fasteners and its intricate global supply chain meant it was well placed to help.
The main products TR supplies are sheet metal fasteners, high grade stainless steel fastenings, plastic and rubber products plus specially manufactured parts to be used in a range of medical equipment.
Mr Scholefield said the products requiring fasteners and components included:
- Respiratory support and monitoring equipment such as ventilators, which help to treat hospitalised patients.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as face mask strap kits and non-hand contact door handles.
- Diagnostic test equipment which identify those infected and further limit the spread of the virus.
- Medical beds and furniture
- Ultrasound machines
- Medical imaging equipment
- Plus many other vital pieces of medical equipment including defibrillators, incubators, medical computer stands, volumetric pumps and infusion devices, vacuum extractors etc.
He added: “Although fasteners are typically the smallest components in medical devices, they play an important role in the assembly, functionality and structural integrity of the device.
“Working directly with a knowledgeable fastener manufacturer early on in the design stage mitigates the possibility of a costly redesign after the product has been launched.”
TR’s fast-track approach to delivering a high volume of products, often within hours, supported the sudden acceleration of customers’ needs, so the company worked through weekends and bank holidays to respond quickly and to engage with medical companies around the world.
Mr Scholefield said: “As the medical landscape changes, preparing for the future has never been so important. TR Fastenings is ready to meet the challenge.”