It is hoped that a Parkrun will start in Uckfield on Saturday, April 27.
Uckfield Town Council was given the date in a report on progress of the initiative at a meeting on Monday.
The council is contributing £1,000 towards the set-up costs, and has appointed Uckfield Mayor Cllr Spike Mayhew as a director.
Uckfield College is co-ordinating efforts to set up the Parkrun after the idea was suggested by Duke of Edinburgh Award students, who aim to support the project going forward.
The college is said to be making good progress with fund-raising to reach the £3,000 needed for the project.
Routes have been identified from the Rugby Club and around Buxted Park and work is progressing to ensure they are suitable for use.
Meetings have taken place with Uckfield Rugby Club, Buxted Park Hotel, Uckfield Grasshoppers, Uckfield Runners, the town council, Uckfield Volunteer Centre and Wealden District Council.
Parkrun is a national initiative dependent on volunteers and often those taking part will assist with the support required on the day.
Volunteers are typically required to assist with the following roles each week:
- Event director – takes overall responsibility for each event
- Run director – in charge of a particular run on a specific day (they would do the briefing at the start, and ensure all goes well during the event)
- Marshals (at key points around the course)
- Tail walker (stays at the back and has to be the last person to cross the finish line to ensure everyone is accounted for)
- Timekeeper (responsible for recording the finish times of all the participants at the event
- Finish tokens person (responsible for handing out finish position tokens in correct sequence)
- Barcode scanner (responsible for recording participants against their finish position tokens)
Duke of Edinburgh
It is hoped Duke of Edinburgh students will take it in turn to help at the event each week by taking on one of the above roles.
It has been proposed by Uckfield College principal Hugh Hennebry that if 12 run director roles are created the ‘taking charge’ of the weekly park run would be more manageable. Each run director would then need to oversee four of the park runs a year.
Uckfield College aims to provide at least three of the 12 run directors, the Volunteer Centre could offer one position, the rugby club one position and the Uckfield Runners are likely to be able to provide between four and six positions, with Uckfield Town Council, and Uckfield Grasshoppers potentially filling the last two positions.
Uckfield Mayor Cllr Spike Mayhew agreed to take on one of the positions.