Sixteen electric blankets failed safety tests carried out at Uckfield Fire Station on Monday.
Watch manager Ian Ritchie said forty-one blankets were tested free of charge and the owners of those that failed were given details of how to order a replacement at a discounted price.
Incidents attended by firefighters in the past fortnight include a fire yesterday involving a lawnmower and a petrol can. This was dealt with at 11.50am.
Ian continues his round-up of news here:
Sunday, October 4: Uckfield firefighters worked with crews from Barcombe, Lewes and Burgess Hill at 6am when fire destroyed the roof of an accommodation block on a farm at Wivelsfield Green. One fire appliance from the town and the bulk Water Carrier attended.
At 11am one crew attended a call to a fire on a farm at Hadlow Down but found a bonfire which was under control.
An Uckfield crew travelled to a Horsted Keynes farmhouse at 3.50pm with a West Sussex crew when smoke from a chimney fire set off the property’s fire alarm.
Thursday, October 8: Uckfield firefighters again found themselves in West Sussex as they provided cover in Haywards Heath while their crew dealt with an incident.
Friday, October 9: A young child was freed by firefighters using their ‘finely honed’ coat hanger fishing skills at 10.05am after she became locked in a car in Luxfords car park.
Saturday, October 10: Firefighters from Uckfield and Crowborough wore breathing apparatus when they attended a fire call at The Horder Centre in Crowborough at 9.40am. Staff had quickly evacuated several patients from the affected area before crews arrived to find a small fire in the motor of a blood refrigeration unit.
House-sitters at a property in Forest Row got a shock when crews from Uckfield and East Grinstead arrived at 8.55pm after they burnt their tea and were unaware that the fire alarm system was linked to a call centre.
Monday, October 12: Crews from Uckfield were involved in dealing with a serious fire at an Eastbourne school. At 2am the town’s Bulk Water Carrier was sent to join the ten attending crews. At 4.30am an Uckfield fire appliance and crew were sent to the incident to relieve those involved in the initial firefighting.
During the past fortnight Uckfield firefighters have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in Uckfield, Halland and Forest Row.
Home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, are always available across the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.
For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit Home Safety Visits.