Red Butler, a band founded by Uckfield guitarist Alex Butler, is to represent the UK in a European Blues Challenge.
They triumphed against three other acts in the UK Blues Challenge held on Saturday night at the Boom Boom Club in Sutton, Surrey.
Now they will be going on to the European Blues Challenge which will take place in Torrita de Siena, Italy, on April 7, 8, and 9.
Congratulations have been pouring in on the band’s Facebook page with people from across the country saying the win was richly deserved.
- “Well done. Go and show Europe what you can do. See you in Ilfracombe”
- “Congratulations guys. Saw you at Cleethorpes blues festival earlier this year. You deserve this award”
- “Well done and well deserved, seen you in Bridport, keep on rockin …”
- “So glad I was there to see it happen. Red Butler completely outshone the other bands. Terrific”
There was praise too for Red Butler’s management, Alex’s parents Beverley and Richard Butler: “So all that hard work paid off. Many, many congrats. Let’s not also forget their management … Bev and Richard Butler who put in so many hours to help them achieve this.
“Hundreds of miles on the band bus, their own chef … fabulous. Well done all. So glad we were there to see you win. Very emotional.”
The UK Blues Challenge win follows on the heels of success in the British Blues Awards this year where Red Butler was runner-up as Emerging Artist of the Year and Alex Butler was runner-up in Young Artist of the Year.
Alex, aged 21, is a former Manor Primary and Uckfield Community Technology College pupil and founded Red Butler in 2012. Other band members are Jane Pearce, lead vocalist, Charlie Simpson, drums, and Mike Topp, bass.
Band manager Richard Butler told Uckfield News earlier this year: “This has been a spectacular year for them with performances from Durham to Penzance and Norwich with many more between.
“In addition to solo gigs the band have appeared at festivals countrywide and have been chosen to tour with top American bands and Britain’s own star, Lawrence Jones during 2015.”
• Alex Butler and Red Butler drummer Charlie Simpson are running a band workshop in Buxted this week. Read more here: Band workshop to be held in Buxted.
Anonymous Gardener: Planting for a glorious springtime
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory