Planning permission has been given for a residential care home at Hadlow Down to be extended and converted to form four domestic dwellings.
Marlowe House, a late Victorian building, is on the corner of School Lane and the main A272 main road in the centre of the village.
It first appears on maps in 1899 and has been much extended and altered since then.
The building is not prominent from the A272 because of a high hedge and the main views are from school lane with the main entrance facing north east towards a neighbouring bungalow.
Vehicular access is shared with two 1970s bungalows.
The property has been empty since a care home closed down two years ago.
The proposal in a planning application before Wealden Council is to:
- Re-order a conservatory and south-east elevation, including a first floor addition on that elevation.
- The infilling of the valley over the original part of the building
- Conversion of the existing building into three dwellings
- A two-storey extension in the north-east corner of the site, which would form a new home with a bedroom in the roof.
The plan is to use the existing access.
A council report says: “The proposal would bring a vacant building back into use, whilst having an acceptable impact on visual and residential amenity and the character of the surrounding Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.”
Hadlow Down Parish Council had objected to the scheme saying its mass, scale and height were out of keeping with the village, and there was insufficient parking and turning space in a location near a school, which already has issues with parking.