An increasing number of people are setting up and living in mobile homes without permission, according to a report going to Wealden councillors next week.
The council's planning enforcement service has seen a 50 per cent increase in breaches of planning rules from January to September this year over the same period last year.
The breaches are attributed to the economic downturn and include the increased use of homes for commercial operations or annexes being used in unauthorised areas.
A report to the district council's environment scrutiny committee on Monday says the planning enforcement team of five people has also been under pressure because of 'poorly drafted' Permitted Development changes for householders introduced in October last year.
Further draft proposals have been issued and more problems are anticipated as a result of them.
'At first sight and unless significant revisions are forthcoming, these changes will result in further difficulties and potential workload issues for the service,' says the report.