A new provider has been chosen to deliver community health services for Uckfield.
The role has gone to Sussex Community NHS Trust which is the main provider of NHS community health services across West Sussex and Brighton and Hove.
Uckfield Community Hospital will be a key base for the trust to provide services for the local community.
The appointment was made by the NHS High Weald Lewes Havens Clinical Commissioning Group, which brings together 125 GPs working in 22 practices – and three community hospitals at Uckfield, Lewes and Crowborough.
The commissioning group served notice on its existing contract with the East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust last year. See: New provider sought to deliver community health services for Uckfield.
The commissioning group says the change will result in ‘new and improved NHS commununity health services that will see patients receive more integrated services and more care provided closer to their homes and in their local community.
“The new model of care has been designed together with local patients and members of the public over the last 18 months who have helped ensure the service meets the specific needs and geography of local people.
“Services will be designed in a way to improve clinical outcomes for patients and offer a greater focus on self-management, prevention and patient education as well as a high standard of patient care and experience.”
The commissioning group says the Sussex Community NHS Trust plan will:
- Deliver services for local people through communities of practice which would see clusters of GP practices supported by a range of professionals including district nurses, therapists and mental health and social care practitioners.
- Expand the range of services delivered through the community hospitals and improve links to local acute hospitals and voluntary and third sector providers.
- Place greater emphasis on joint working and shared learning between professionals within the multi-disciplinary community teams and primary care teams.
- Improve information sharing through IT integration and co-designed care plans and integrated personal health records.
Community health services included in the plan will be:
1. District Nursing
2. Advanced Community Nurse Practitioners
3. Minor Injuries and Illness Units
4. Community Diagnostics
5. Intermediate Care Beds
6. Community Neurological Rehabilitation Service
7. Rapid Response Service
8. Community Occupational Therapy
10. Speech and Language Therapy
11. Community Respiratory Service
12. Community Heart Failure Service
13. Continence Service
14. Tissue Viability Service
15. Parkinson’s Disease Specialist Nurse Service
16. Multiple Sclerosis Specialist Nurse Service
17. End of Life Care Service