An area within the cemetery at Snatts Road, Uckfield, is likely to be set aside for ashes.
It would be within a wooded area to the left of the gates as you enter the cemetery.
The idea would be to keep the area natural and without plaques so that it would need little maintenance, according to a report before Uckfield Town Council's environment and leisure committee last night.
The next step is to get costs for work which would include:
- removal of some trees which would be replaced
- planting of a new hedge along a fenced area
- signage explaining coppicing
- cost for a drainage system to prevent surface water going on to graves
- cost of a shelter which would house small memorials and seats
- removal of a Scotch fir in the new grave area. If not removed it could take up the space of up to 20 graves
- looking into the ground works that need to be done.