The principle of developing land west of Ridgewood Manor Lodge, Lewes Road, Uckfield, has been established.
Wealden District Council has granted outline planning permission to build four homes.
Uckfield Town Council plans committee had opposed the development.
The district council told the town council that its objections had been noted and wrote:
“The town council is advised that the current application is in outline form, with all matters except access reserved.
“The provision of suitable foul and surface water drainage arrangements and the relationship of the proposed dwellings to neighbours (in terms of maintaining an appropriate level of residential amenity) are important matters which would need to be fully addressed at any subsequent detailed application stage and/or through conditions which would be attached to outline planning permission, if granted.
“The application has not attracted an objection from the highway authority.
“The highway authority has recommended various conditions to secure a safe means of access to the site, including the provision of visibility splays.
“The application site has been within the established development boundary for Uckfield for a number of years and is within a sustainable location within the town.
“Therefore, it is not considered that the principle of residential development of the site could be reasonably resisted having regard to local and national planning policy.
“The proposed development of four dwellings is regarded as falling within the existing ‘headroom’ for housing development in the town, due to capacity having been released through development of another site with a smaller number of housing units.”
The development cannot begin until Wealden has approved a scheme to secure mitigation of additional recreational pressures on the Ashdown Forest.
A contribution will be needed towards the provision of a new greenspace (SANG) and improved management of the Forest.
The site has been the subject of a number of planning applications in the last 12 years. Some were withdrawn and others refused.
The report was given to this week’s meeting of the town council plans committee.
The committee agreed to support the following applications:
- Single-storey extension and minor alterations to existing listed building and demolition of detached garages at Henley House, 2 London Road, Uckfield, as long as extension is in keeping with the current building.
- Installation of an air con unit and relocation of six existing air con units at 100 High Street, Uckfield.
- Second planning application for proposed first-floor extension and alterations at 95 Nevill Road, Uckfield. [Cllr D. French declared a personal interest in this application and took no part in the discussion or decision].
- Replacement access gates at Puffins, New Place, Uckfield.
- Construct a single brick garage on existing hardstanding at 2 Michelham Road, Uckfield. [Cllr J. Anderson declared a personal interest in this application and took no part in the discussion or decision].
Note: Decisions on planning applications are made by Wealden District Council. Uckfield Town Council is a statutory consultee.
Some planning applications fall outside the normal cycle of town council meetings. In these cases, members are consulted by the committee chairman who notifies Wealden of the council’s views.
Using this system, the town council has supported the following applications:
- Retrospective application to relocate side door and rear window at 6 Mallard Drive, Ridgewood.
- Rear single-storey extension to feature a new kitchen/dining space at 7 Harcourt Close, Uckfield.
- Convert a garage into a kitchen at 5 Meadow views, Ridgewood.
The committee was told Wealden District Council had approved the following applications:
- Two storey side extension at 1 Oaklea Way, Uckfield.
- Two storey side extension at 8 Streatfield Road, Uckfield.
- Two storey side extension at 15 Sycamore Court, Uckfield.
- Bay window extension and alterations at 11 Wares Field, Ridgewood, Uckfield.
- Single storey rear UPVC white conservatory at 5 Wares Road, Ridgewood, Uckfield.
- Rear ground floor extension at 36 Farriers Way, Uckfield.
- Single storey side extension at 43 Hart Close.
Members of the town council plans committee present at the meeting were:
Chair: Cllr James Anderson, Trust Independent, North
Vice-chair: Cllr Barry Mayhew, Independent, New Town
Cllr Mick Dean, Trust Independent, New Town
Cllr Donna French, Trust Independent, North
Cllr Jackie Love, Trust Independent, North