Storms in the last few weeks has seen Uckfield firefighters called to a number of incidents. The worst came on the night of December 23/24.
They have freed occupants from cars and helped householders whose homes have been damaged.
A crew was also called out on Christmas night (December 25).
Weather-related incidents began on Tuesday, December 17, reports Watch Manager, Ian Ritchie.
At 6.10pm an Uckfield crew worked with Crowborough firefighters to free the driver of a car that had collided with a tree on the Crowborough Road at Nutley. Hydraulic cutting equipment was used to free the injured man.
Monday December 23: at 5.45pm, a female driver and her ten-year-old son were released uninjured but shaken after crews cut away part of the tree which had collapsed onto their car in Keld Avenue.
7.21pm An Uckfield crew attended a chimney fire at a Nutley cottage located deep in the Ashdown Forest.
10.10pm One crew removed flood water from the basement of a house in Snatts Road.
11pm. Firefighters sent to deal with a dangerous roof in Mallard Drive where they removed loose ridge tiles from the building after tiles and masonry had fallen due to the high winds.
Tuesday 24 December: At 12.46am, one crew had to negotiate flooded lanes and fallen trees to help an elderly Buxted resident after the wind blew in a ground floor window. Firefighters made a temporary repair by boarding up the window to prevent any further damage.
3am Uckfield firefighters were called to Holy Cross CE School in Belmont Road by the school caretaker when strong winds ripped the roofing felt off of the entire length of the front of the building. Computers were moved from classrooms and the electricity supply was isolated as rainwater leaked through the exposed roof.
10.30am Just as Santa set off on his delivery round from the Fire Station, the fire appliance he was riding in was sent to Wivelsfield Green to pump out the flooded cellar of the village Post Office and to deal with a collapsed chimney at a neighbouring house. After dealing with two more minor incidents in Newick and East Hoathly, Santa was able to complete his deliveries successfully
The firefighters have also attended a number of fires and other incidents during the period:
Sunday, December 15: Two fire appliances from Uckfield were called to a potentially serious fire in a block of flats in Regency Close at 2.25am. Several items had been deliberately ignited in a communal area of the building but thankfully the fire did not develop. Sussex Police attended and are investigating the incident.
At 2.20pm one crew attended a fire involving a high voltage electricity pole at North Chailey. The 33,000 volt supply had shorted to earth and ignited the pole. Firefighters had to wait for UK Power Networks to isolate the supply before tackling the fire with a hosereel.
Wednesday, December 18: Uckfield and Barcombe firefighters dealt with a fire involving the electrical intake equipment at a house in Newick.
Friday, December 20: Two fire appliances were sent to reports of a fire at Uckfield Rugby Club at 9.40pm. Crews found three large commercial wheelie bins alight which they extinguished before being sent on to a fire involving rubbish on the Uckfield bypass at 9.53pm.
Saturday, December 21: A fire involving stacked logs which spread to a garage was extinguished at 9.50pm at a property in Framfield. The towns bulk water carrier was requested by the crew to provide additional firefighting water.
Tuesday, December 24: Two minor incidents in Newick and East Hoathly.
11.20am One crew assisted at a road accident on the Uckfield bypass until the police and ambulance arrived.
12.10pm A chimney stack which had collapsed onto the roof of a house in Newick was dismantled and removed by Uckfield firefighters.
2.55pm and 4.20pm Two calls to provide cover in Crowborough while they assisted Kent FRS at fire and flooding incidents.
Christmas Day and call to Rochester, Kent
Wednesday, December 25: At 10.20pm an Uckfield crew worked with Crowborough’s animal rescue team to free a cow and a calf that had become trapped in railings in a farm building in Buxted.
Friday, December 27: One crew attended a cottage in Fletching at 12.40pm to assist with minor flooding in the property.
Sunday, December 29: A call at 8.25am to a fire at the Buxted Surgery turned out to be a small fire in a waste bin.
At 10am the map books were out as the towns bulk water carrier was mobilised to Rochester to assist Kent FRS with a farm fire.
>Uckfield crews have also attended calls to fire alarms sounding in the Crowborough, Newick, Isfield and Cross In Hand.
>Uckfield’s firefighters wish all residents of our local communities a happy and safe new year.
>Home safety visits, designed to raise awareness of safety matters in the home, are always available across the local communities. These visits include the fitting of free smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station.
>For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 or visit this website