Fire has destroyed a children’s play house in Selby Meadow, Uckfield.
Velda Reed, one of the people who transformed a derelict piece of land off Selby Road into the tranquil wildlife haven, is appealing for information on how the fire started.
She said police believe the Mouse House was accidentally set alight, probably by a cigarette. The heat of the fire also melted the Meadow compost bin.
She said the Mouse House was built by Mr Bond and the Payback Team. It was a place in which children could play and use their imagination.
Inside was a collection of small items, logs to sit, mouse-related toys, and seed heads, and fir cones. “Everyone added their own special bits to it so it was gradually evolving and changing,” said Velda.
She said in the spirit of community Selby Meadow volunteers would clear up, move on and set a date with anyone who would like to be involved in re-building an even better place for visiting children.
Neighbours altered the fire service when they notice “huge flames” in the meadow at 5.45pm.
Thanks to Velda for the photographs.
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory