Council reminds events organisers of need for alcohol licence

Organisers of Christmas fairs, bazaars, markets, social evenings and similar events where alcohol might be sold are being reminded that they might need permission to sell it.

Sales of alcohol include offering a glass of wine within the ticket/entry price, or providing alcohol 'free' but requesting a 'donation' to cover its cost, according to a press release from Wealden District Council.

However, alcohol may be given as lottery prizes without the benefit of a licence provided it is in a sealed container and is not given to under-18s.

If the premises where the event is taking place does not have a Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell alcohol, a temporary licence must be obtained.

“It is a busy time of year for our Licensing Team so if you are planning to sell alcohol at a fund-raising or social event in a location that does not have a premises licence, please get your application in as soon as possible,” said Cllr Susan Stedman, chairman of Wealden's licensing Committee.

Applications for a Temporary Event Notice must be received by the licensing authority and Sussex Police at least ten working days in advance of the event. The licence costs £21.

Application forms for events in Wealden district may be downloaded from the Wealden Council website or obtained from the council's Pine Grove offices in Crowborough.

See also:

80 volunteers join search for missing man from Blackboys

Uckfield teenagers arrested after attack on students in Lewes

Uckfield's Holy Cross Church clock is back in action

Hardworking Uckfield volunteer and fundraiser dies

Uckfield Diary Dates

Uckfield Directory


Share this story

Sign up to receive daily news alerts

I'd like to receive updates every: