The planned conversion of a former Uckfield Chinese restaurant has been supported by Uckfield Town Council plans committee.
Members considered the change of use application from estate agents Mansell McTaggart at a meeting last night (June 6).
Details of the application for the old Dragon Inn premises were given here in this earlier UckfieldNews.com story.
Councillors regretted the loss of restaurant premises but were pleased it was being retained for commercial use.
They also welcomed the three extra “starter” homes for the town, which are part of the application.
The building, it was said, was in a poor state of repair.
Committee chairman, Cllr James Anderson, Trust Independent, Uckfield North, said it was good to see an existing company in the High Street growing in Uckfield which the committee should welcome as a positive for the future of the town.
Uckfield Town Council plans committee also decided to support the following applications:
- A single-storey side extension at 43 Hart Close, Uckfield, set away from the boundary and creating a larger kitchen/family area, with direct access on to the rear garden. Amendment to application WD/2016/0007/F.
- A single-storey rear UPVC white conservatory at 5 Wares Road, Ridgewood.
- Rear ground and lower floor extension to include balcony deck at 4 Highlands Avenue, Ridgewood.
- A two-storey side extension at 15 Sycamore Court, Uckfield.
Land off Lewes Road
Some planning applications fall outside the usual cycle of town council plans committee meetings, meaning the response to Wealden District Council is given by the committee chairman, having consulted committee members.
Uckfield Town Council objected to an application for four homes on land west of Ridgewood Manor Lodge, Lewes Road, Uckfield on the following grounds:
- The development would exacerbate existing sewage problems and also problems with drainage. It was felt that although the application was for fewer dwellings than previous applications the run off of water would still be the same, as the properties are larger.
- Safety concerns regarding access onto the busy Lewes Road and also the visibility splays.
- Due to the height differences, the development would cause overshadowing, loss of light and loss of privacy to neighbouring properties.
- Concerns over loss of the towns green space with this development being in addition to the already agreed 1,000 houses at Ridgewood.
- It was considered ‘infilling’, to which the committee object.
The council also objected to an earlier Ridgewood Manor Lodge application this year.
An application for a two-storey side extension and associated works at 8 Streatfield Road, Uckfield, was supported under the same council process.
Plans approved by Wealden District Council
The committee was told the following planning applications had been approved by Wealden District Council:
- New part-two/part three-storey care home on the cleared brownfield site of a former care home at Ridgewood Rise, Highview Lane, Ridgewood. See earlier story here
- Drop kerb outside 2 Bridge Farm Road, Uckfield
- Change of use at 3 Holbein Place, Bolton Close, Uckfield to allow car repairs
- Two permanent cricket nets at the Victoria Pleasure Ground, Old Timbers Lane, Uckfield
- Two-storey extension to side elevation and associated alterations at Flowergate, New Place, Uckfield.
- First-floor side extension over existing utility room to form new bedroom at 3 Snatts Road, Uckfield.
The following planning application has been withdrawn:
First-floor extension and alterations at 95 Nevill Road, Uckfield.
Granted on appeal
Refusal of planning permission of a new home with garages at 30 Sycamore Court, Uckfield, was appealed by the applicant and members were told the plan had now been approved.
Note: Wealden District Council is the planning authority which makes decisions on planning applications. Uckfield Town Council is a statutory consultee.
Members of the town council plans committee present at the meeting were:
Chair: Cllr James Anderson, Trust Independent, North
Vice-chair: Cllr Barry Mayhew, Liberal Democrat, New Town
Cllr Duncan Bennett, Trust Independent, New Town
Cllr Mick Dean, Trust Independent, New Town
Cllr Donna French, Trust Independent, North
Cllr Jackie Love, Trust Independent, North
Cllr Chris Macve, Trust Independent, North
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory