Removal of a wooden fence at the edge of a garden on the Manor Park Estate, Uckfield, is being sought by the town council.
It is opposing a retrospective planning application at 14 Viewswood Path to replace an existing back fence and moving a side fence to the edge of the garden, without affecting the front.
Plans committee members on Monday (October 31) voted not to support the application, which will be determined by Wealden District Council, and said it should be removed.
Cllr Chris Macve, Trust Independent, Uckfield North, said the fence encroached on to the open nature of the estate, which had won awards soon after it was built for the way it was laid out and designed.
He said if all the paths and twittens were similarly fenced they would become over-bearing and potentially dangerous.
“It detracts from the whole appearance of the estate,” he said.
‘Shame’ fence had been built
Cllr Donna French, Trust Independent, Uckfield North, said it was a “shame” the fence was already there.
“If everybody did that, all the footpaths would end up like corridors,” she said.
The committee agreed to oppose the application and seek the removal of the fence on the grounds it is contrary to the original design and open-plan nature of the estate and that granting permission would set a precedent.
The councillors also agreed to support the following applilcations:
- 13 Roman Way, Uckfield: extension above garage
- 18 Streele View, Uckfield: two-storey side extension and single-storey front extension
- 104-106 Framfield Road, Uckfield: Minor amendment to previous application for new house and parking on rear gardens.
The council needs sometimes to make comments on applications to Wealden in a time-scale which falls outside its normal cycle of meetings.
After consulting members, the chairman said the council supported an application for single-storey additions at 2 Wares Road, Ridgewood.
The committee was informed Wealden District Council had approved the following applications:
- Demolition of public toilets at Luxford Field car park
- Outline permission for demolition of property and replacement, plus three new homes at The Cottage, Hempstead Lane, Uckfield.
- Single storey rear extension at 19 Eagle Close, Uckfield.
- Additional free-standing parking space at 43 Viewswood Path, Uckfield.
- Demolition of rear porch and existing flat-roof extension to form larger sitting room with wet room. Change to glazing on front elevation at 59 Browns Lane, Uckfield.
- Single-storey rear extension and side garage extension at 18 Lime Close, Uckfield.
- Conversion of detached single garage to accommodation, linked to house at 45 Rocks Park road, Uckfield.
Wealden District Council has refused the following application:
Extension and conversion of existing detached garage into a single dwelling at 71 Framfield Road, Uckfield.
Members of Uckfield Town Council plans committee present at the meeting:
Chair: Cllr James Anderson, Trust Independent, North
Vice-chair: Cllr Barry Mayhew, Independent, New Town
Cllr Duncan Bennett, Trust Independent, New Town
Cllr Keith Everett, Independent, Ridgewood
Cllr Donna French, Trust Independent, North
Cllr Jackie Love, Trust Independent, North
Cllr Chris Macve, Trust Independent, North