Six Uckfield roads have been approved for volunteers to deploy a speed indicator device (SID).
The aim is to slow vehicles by informing drivers of their speed as they approach a ‘check point’.
The locations approved by the county highways department are:
- Bell Farm Road, no closer than 100m to Fire Station, eastbound traffic;
- London Road, layby outside Cedars Close, northbound traffic;
- Browns Lane, opposite shopping parade, traffic in both directions;
- Eastbourne Road, entrance to Nightingale Rise, Hailsham-bound traffic;
- Eastbourne Road, bus shelter near New Road, Uckfield-bound traffic;
- Near Pipers Field, layby outside Pipers Gate, Lewes-bound traffic
A team of volunteers is being put together so that they can be trained ready for deployment.
The aim of the SID device is to encourage drivers to remain within the speed limit.
The volunteers will not be taking vehicle registration numbers or undertaking any form of enforcement.
Their role is to educate through deployment of the device.
The SID scheme is an Uckfield Town Council initiative with the device being borrowed from the county council.
Making SIDs available to parishes is one of a number of ways the county council is tackling speeding vehicles in East Sussex.
• working with Sussex Police to support community speed watch schemes (including helping meet the cost of hand-held laser speed guns)
• using speed-reactive signs that automatically warn drivers if they are breaking the limit
• making more mobile speed indication devices (SIDs) available for parishes. These display the speed of oncoming vehicles and alert drivers who are over the speed limit.
• assessing roads for the possible reduction of speed limits.
• promoting walking, cycling and public transport, to reduce the amount of traffic on the roads
• running Speed Awareness courses for drivers who have been detected travelling slightly over the speed limit and Driver Improvement programmes to retrain drivers and motorcyclists involved in ‘driving without due care’ incidents.
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory