Grants of up to £500 are being offered by Wealden District Council to help communities come together to celebrate the 2012 Olympic Games.
The council says its Wealden Welcomes 2012 campaign is a one-off initiative designed to provide an economic boost and cement valuable links in the community.
Cabinet member Cllr Roy Galley who has responsibility for economic development and tourism said: “We want to encourage parishes and towns in Wealden to take part in sports and other activities which bring people together or create events which will attract visitors to the district.”
The Wealden Welcomes 2012 enables communities to apply for a maximum grant of £500. No match funding is required.
Celebratory projects relating to the London 2012 Torch Relay and Olympic and paralympic Games must do two or more of the the following:
- Bring together the community (residents, visitors and businesses) to take part.
- Promote healthier and more active lifestyles in the community.
- Promote a recognised sport.
- Celebrate the sporting life or cultural life of the community.
- Welcome visitors to the community.
For more information about the scheme and to request an application form, please contact the Economic Development and Tourism Team at Wealden Council on 01892 602884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* While Uckfield organises its own home-grown alternative to the Olympic Torch Relay the real Olympic torch comes to Wealden on Tuesday, July 17, appearing at Crowborough and Pevensey. The 2012 London Olympics take place from July 27 to August 12 and the Paralympics from August 29 to September 9.
In addition the 2012 Disabled British Open and Junior Disabled British Open Golf championships take place at the East Sussex National near Uckfield on August 24026.