The council is working with the National Grid, and Affordable Warmth Solutions CIC, to offer the grants and it will be first come first served for those who meet the criteria.
Wealden’s cabinet member for housing, Cllr Graham Wells, said: “If you are living away from mains gas, receiving some form of benefits and relying on room heaters, fires, or electric ceiling heaters, as your main source of heating, this scheme is for you.”
Those who own, or rent, can access the funding. Systems can be heavily subsidised for landlords and free for home owners if:
- The home is located in a rural area that is not part of the gas network
- The occupant receives qualifying benefits
- The property has an Energy Performance Certificate rating of F or G
- The home does not have a full central heating system.
The qualifying benefits are:
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
The systems will be fully funded for those who own their own home. Landlords can expect to receive two grants, one for the boiler and another for the remaining balance which, in total, should cover approximately 70% of the total cost.
Referrals for funding can be made by calling Wealden District Council on 01323 443322.
Find local businesses in our Uckfield Directory