Centenarian rescued from Fletching fire

Uckfield fire-fighters rescued a 100-year-old man from a fire in a property in Fletching on Sunday night.

Two crews from the town were called to the remote property at 11.30pm and found a developing fire in the kitchen, writes Watch Manager Ian Ritchie.fire_modern_engine

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building before the occupier noticed that her elderly father was missing from his annexe.

The breathing apparatus team quickly located the man using a thermal imaging camera and brought him out of the building.

The home owner had followed the advice of ESFRS mobilising staff and closed the door to the kitchen and evacuated the building, however, despite his advancing years, the man had gone back into the building to try and deal with the fire with a small extinguisher but was overcome by the thick smoke.

Firefighters provided him with oxygen therapy until the arrival of an ambulance who took the man to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. The fire was contained to the kitchen having started in a dishwasher and spread to the timber cupboards and work-top.

The alarm was raised by smoke detectors previously fitted by the fire service during a home safety visit again highlighting the value of these devices.

See also:

Saplings die after being poisoned at West Park

Free business IT and IT Telecomes review offered by Uckfield company

Businesses invited to get involved in Uckfield careers fair

 

 

Share this story

Sign up to receive daily news alerts

I'd like to receive updates every: